Monday, April 16, 2007

Whats behind a name?

One of the top concerns I hear when people are nervous about starting a blog is "what will I write about", "what will the name of my blog be?" etc. I just say go with it, the ideas will come. That being said, I did ask myself these questions before setting up a personal blog (I had already been involved in my family blog) because I wanted to know if it would be worth the effort and time it would take... so these are the reasons why I went ahead and took the plunge.
1. I had a lot of friends I wanted to reconnect with in a way that would allow me to check in on them and at least have some contact when there had been little or none.
2. I had seen that there are many cool things that can be done on the blog, and I want to learn how to do them. So far I have only been refreshed on saving and posting images, and posting links, but I have a big list waiting.
3. I wanted to be seen as cool by my peers.
4. Most important, I wanted to be more mindful of my day to day activities, and thoughts (thus the name of the blog). Something about the blog makes this more exciting than a journal. maybe the pictures, maybe the interaction.. something.
I have thought often about needing to be more mindful, intentional living, pushing myself to do something hard everyday.. (all names for the same idea I have in my head for quite sometime) and I think the blog, in a way, is helping me to accomplish at least a little bit of doing that.

2 comments:

Celia Marie (W.) B. said...

I love blogging and reading blogs. I totally agree that it's much easier to keep in touch with friends and family. I was TOTALLY worried about starting a blog because I didn't think I had enough interesting things to say for someone to want to keep reading. And maybe I don't, but somehow I've made it over a year now and quite a few people still read. (Though fewer comment than read...) =)

If nothing else I'm way more motivated to write a blog than write in a journal. So I copy and paste into a word doc, print and bam, there I am with somewhat of a life record. Sweet.

I'm glad you blog.

Elisa said...

I think it is SO important to figure out why you are blogging before getting into it (You meaning in general..all of us). For awhile there I was highly editing my writing, and then getting my feelings hurt when no one would comment. When I figured out that this is for me, for my kids, and to keep in touch with friends and family it's easier to be truthful, to be real. I still find myself editing, and trying to impress others but I try to step back and ask "who is this for?"

I am with you though, I am better at blogging than writing in a journal. It must be the pictures...and the feedback:)