Thursday, April 5, 2007

Some media plugs

I will preface this by saying I am not big into t.v., movies etc. and so by suggesting the following I am in no way saying that I am an expert in the field, I am just sharing with you what feels right.

This American Life is a radio program on NPR, that usually has 2-3 segments on a different subject each week. Its a may be a good introduction into what NPR has to offer. Showtime has now picked this show up and made a weekly show of it. I know that this is a sore spot for some fans, the host Ira Glass talked about being booed about it by his audience, but you can check out the opening episode for free on sho.com. I liked it. One reason being that I can remember exactly where I was when I heard the radio broadcast about the first episode on the show, and I was pretty close on everything I envisioned. The next t.v. episode looks interesting and has some Utah links, but I think you have to have showtime for that one.


TV land has these interviews with comedians, and I checked out the Jon Stewart interview the other night and really liked it. Seeing interviews like this help me think that dinner parties with the right people could be so fun! Here is the link, though I have no idea how to make it work right now.
http://www.tvland.com/originals/sitdown/season2/sitdown_bios_Jon.jhtml




NPR. I know that this is getting ridiculous, but so many of you commented that you haven't heard NPR or of it, so I am just going to tell you try it. I tried the other day to get a short list of things to sample, its very hard, I like so many programs. I would say that Saturday Edition, Market Report, Wait, wait don't tell me, the diane rheam show (hit and miss), science friday are some of the most popular. You can download it all at itunes or from their site. Its well worth looking into. You can browse the site, but you really need to listen to get the feel. The web site has a station finder and that may be your best bet. I plan on sending some of you links to shows I think you may find interesting as I hear them, until then you are on your own.
http://www.npr.org/

Also If you need to move, get out of your shell a bit I have to push pulling out the playstation and letting loose with a little dance revolution and guitar hero. I have only played these games in the company of familly and it will stay that way. But I love, love, love them.


That is all.

6 comments:

Elisa said...

I am so glad you posted this because I didn't know we had so much in common on the media front. We don't have a tv, download podccasts of This American Life and love Car Talk, Wait Wait don't Tell me, Young Musician (something like that) and just about everything else that happens to be on NPR (except for any news which I only listen to on Classical 89). I don't tell a lot of people this because well, did you hear the American Life about TV? Where the TV snob says "I don't like TV but I do enjoy NOVA" Thats how I feel. I always feel like I need to add that Miriam rents 2 movies from the library EVERY week and watches at least one a day, and that we watch Ugly Betty and sometimes Grey's Anatomy on-line.

Anyway, I think you are GREAT and love getting these little gems about your daily life.

Elisa said...

ps We LOVED the Daily Show with Jon Stewart before the TV left...we miss it.

nanci said...

I couldn't agree more with you on these things, people do take the lack of tv as a snob thing, Ours just died, And I have no desire to buy another. It has opened me up to really picking what you want to see. The boys also get shows from the library and watch it on the portable dvd, and i watch 30 rock on the internet. I am telling you there is something about growing up in the simple Price, that helps appreciate the good things!

nanci said...

Elisa, with this love of jon stewart, you really need to watch this interview, you will love him even more.

Rass said...

Now we are on the same page . . . I was debating whether or not I should buy Guitar Hero for Erik (and dance dance revolution for myself). Now that I have a good reccomendation its a go.

J Piac said...

Well, I finally figured out how to actually log in - so now I can comment. I hope me showing up here with my bachelor's degree and everything is not intimidating. But I hope to be able to intelligently contribute to the banter. I do want to add that if you subscribe to ITunes that "Driveway Moments" and "Story of the Day" are ridiculously good pieces of journalism. There have been tears out of this lady on more than one occasion.